Sick today

So I had my MRCP Monday and don’t know anything yet. Since Sunday, I’ve had right upper quadrant pain that is constant. Nothing too bad, just nagging. Today, pain is worse and I’m having a hard time functioning at work. Slightly nauseous and keep having to run to the bathroom. Very fatigued and itchy but I’m too tired to think about it. I’m a nurse who works twelve hour shifts, so I’m stuck here today and tomorrow for twelve hours and I’m not sure how I’m going to make it. :stuck_out_tongue: Never had constant pain before, it was always sharp intermittent pain, very infrequent. Now it’s constant and dull, like a full feeling or something. Desperate to get my MRCP results back to see what the next step is, need relief. Is it normal to be fine then be so sick in just a couple of weeks?

Hi there. So sorry you are having such a rough time this week. With the pain and itching you describe, you could very well have a blockage. Hopefully the MRCP will give a clear view of the problem and they can get in there and fix it soon. I did find that getting in a hot bath, just as hot as you can stand it and just soaking in there on your back for about 15-20 minutes does help. If the over-the-counter remedies are not working for the itching, there are prescription meds that will help. I took Rifampin 300 mg twice a day which eliminated my itching up to 98% of the time. It shouldn’t take them more than 24 hours or so to get the results back. I’d be calling the doctors office tomorrow if you don’t hear back. Hang in there and hopefully they can get you some relief soon.

Mark

For me an attack starts with chills & itching, then the fever strikes. When the fever hits, I suddenly become very fatigue. I’m a home health nurse & have to call in when this happens. I’m now just per-diem (as needed) so I can call in & not get penalized. My boss knows what I’m going through so at least I can go home, take Tylenol & go to bed. After the fever hits I often have dry heaves or vomiting. The next day I’m fine. When the episodes come more frequently, then I know I have to have an ERCP w/stent placement due to a blockage. My doctor now orders an antibiotic to stop the episodes of inflammation/infection until I get my ERCP. This seems to work great! We are going on a cruise & my doctor gave me a prescription for an antibiotic in case an episode hits.

My doctor called me back on Thursday. She put me on another round of antibiotics, this time for a month. They are having me come in for a consult in a few weeks to be put on the waiting list for a transplant. My meld is currently 15 but was under 10 two months ago and had jumped up to 22 last month before any antibiotics. She said even though my meld score had come down they were concerned by the fact that my bilirubin went from normal to 12.2 so quickly and that my other liver enzymes are so elevated and that while a score of 15 isn’t awful my numbers fluctuate so fast that they want to go ahead and get me on the list in case I deteriorate quickly. My MRCP hasn’t changed drastically but she said that the ducts are more strictured and they were too tiny before for an ERCP to be very effective. She is going to speak to the doctor who did my ERCP again though to see if she thinks there is anything they can do but told me she is doubtful. Trying to think of questions to ask at my consultation.

Happyhippie,
From all you have just stated, your doctors are on the right track to go ahead and submit your name for approval to be listed for transplant. PSC can push that MELD score up so quickly at times that it will pay off in the long run to have yourself listed.
As far as questions, I’d be sure they are checking your labs at least every 3 months which I believe they will do when you are listed. Then as the MELD score climbs the times between labs will increase. At some point they will be once or twice a week.
I wish you the very best and when the time comes, I pray you will get that much needed gift of life.

Take care and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mark