How many people in this group have taken the Acne Rx Acutane?

My son’s Ulcerative Colitis started after taking Claravis a medicine used for Acne. I’m curious how many other people who now have PSC may have taken Acutane or another well known acne pill. Please share.

Hi, when i was in my late twenties to mid thirties I had acne. Adult acne it was described by my doctor and I was given a long term antibiotic tablet to treat it. I forget the name of this drug but I took it for a couple of years. Within a year of stopping the drug I began to suffer severe bouts of Ulcerative Colitis. I do believe there was a connection. I also had a lot of stress in my life during this period.

So yes I think there is a link there, and I also gave up smoking before the UC became severe.

Also, when i was 27 I had overactive thyroid and had surgery to remove a goitre from my neck.

I am 28 years old. When I was 15 my mom and doctor decided I should try Accutane. I was on the medication for eight weeks before the doctors took me off of it because of my liver function tests. After three liver biopsies, MRIs, CAT scans, ERCP, MRCP, and hundreds of blood tests, a GI was finally able to diagnose me with PSC (that was about two years ago). About 2.5 years ago I was diagnosed with moderate/severe UC (I was hospitalized for 5 days ). I have bouts of itching - one stretch that lasted 2 years 24 hrs a day. I ended up going on medical leave from college for a year, because the doctor thought I was too prone to infections.

I am very sorry to hear about your son. I have Cerebral Palsy, but the PSC issues have effected my quality of life the most. Feel free to contact me if you would like.