Fertility issues?

Hello, I’m 40 and have had PSC for about 6 years. I’m currently taking Ursodial and Liada and feel good. I had a miscarriage last year at 5 weeks and another chemicl pregnancy at 5 weeks as well. Anyone has issues with fertility ? My GI doctor said I should be ok to conceive . But I have 2 major deficits… my age and possibly PSC?
Thanks for listening and sharing

Coppola,
Thanks for your post. I’m sure some of our ladies on the forum will be reaching out to you for answers to this question. The forums are rather quiet on the weekends generally. I have heard though of a number of ladies with PSC that were able to successfully conceive and deliver healthy children. I’m sure there are so many individual situations that affect everyone differently. I would encourage you to speak with a hepatologist about this concern of yours and see what guidance they may be able to offer.

Mark

Hi Coppola. I’m very sorry for your losses. I know how emotionally devastating miscarriage can be.
I was dx with PSC in 2016. I already had 2 children so I can’t really speak to having PSC and conceiving, but I know there have been many on the forum who have. I did want to say that miscarriage is not just an age or PSC thing, I had 2 before I had my children at 27 and 34 years of age, so don’t give up hope based on your age and dx. Sometimes, it just happens.
Also, age is just a number…more and more women are having successful, healthy pregnancies in their 40s and I think that OBs who still tell women that they “can’t or shouldn’t” at your age or any age pre-menopause are old school and behind the times. So, please don’t give up.
Hopefully, someone with PSC who has gone through a pregnancy will share their experience with you soon, it can take a little while to get a response on this board sometimes.
Wishing you the best!

1 Like

Hello there, I had my son at 22 and have had PSC since I was 15.
He was not planned and so I didnt have any issues, I did however have issues regarding my period, it was so irregular. During pregnancy my PSC got worse, I was yellow and itchy the whole time and eventually it caused my baby to be delivered early because of the pressure my liver was putting on my body - or the pressure the pregnancy was putting on my liver, either way, my baby turned out fine. Ive never heard of fertility issues because of PSC honestly.
Best of Luck

1 Like

My cousin had two children after her liver transplant. All went well. I don’t know if there were any great complications for her during or after pregnancy, but I do know all went just fine for her children.
Take care and I say go for it!

1 Like

Hello Coppola,
I wanted to simply reach out and say I am sorry for your losses.
Big Hugs,

1 Like